Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Cover me, I'm going in.

Cover me, I'm going in.


Well, how many times have I done this? Started to write and then quit. There are blogs out there on the interwebs that I've written then gave up, either running out of interesting content or my A.D.D. had kicked in. There are any number of journals, binders or digital files contain my ramblings...

I've spent the last several years trying to answer questions like, 

"What is your passion?"

"What do you want to do with your life?"

"If you could do anything, what would it be?"

The truth is, I'm 44 and I still don't know. I guess that blogs are often times the outlet for those of us in the throws of our mid-life crisis and don't have the money for new cars or the self esteem for sex with 19 year-olds. We feel compelled to figure out what happened to our lives, why some of us became the President of the United States and why some of us are living in this city we SWORE we'd get out of the second we could.

​I had an Oprah moment the other day and thought, I love stories. I love to read, listen to audiobooks, see movies... I love stories! Months ago I asked my cousin, a successful playwright, what her secret was. She said, "You just have to do it. You have to sit down every day and write. You just have to do the work."

You always hear that you should write about what you know. Well, I know that I came from a big, crazy, messed up, family. When I share childhood stories with people, they have a tendency to laugh and say, "No really! What happened?" Seriously people? I couldn't make this shit up.

I've been kicking around the idea of writing something based upon my mother and my childhood experiences. I know. Cliché as balls. As it turns out, I've signed myself up for a 'writers retreat' this weekend and the instructions were to bring a list of questions and projects that we're working on. I guess I'd better drudge up some bizarre shit to write about and then proceed to eat my feelings. Did I mention that I'm paying for this?

Daughter: "Mom, are you seriously writing a blog? (laughs) I love you."

Cover me, I'm going in.

No comments:

Post a Comment